Friday, August 12, 2011

A Boy's Arm

Boys will be boys but I expected broken bones from bikes, scooters and/or skateboards.....not tag in the house with a couple girls. They were playing tag at my sisters and Katelynn bumped into Eli, he landed wrong and fractured his arm. Resulting in a 2.5hr surgery to fix it. Muscle and tissue had to be cleared out of the way so the doctor could place 3 pins to hold the thing back together. I have to say E was such a trooper, so brave and so strong. I'm so proud of my baby. He held it together better than I did at times!!

In the ER awaiting an IV & cast to hold us over until the following morning for surgery. Note to self....if there is a possible broken bone DO NOT feed your child snacks while waiting x-ray results. It WILL force you to wait until the following morning, surgery HAS to be on an EMPTY tummy!

Temp cast check, blanket check, snuggling guy check, pain meds CHECK. 

 Recovery room round 1, pins in and cast on

E's guy outfitted as a DR. And guess what....when you're a kid and have surgery, you get toys!! Think I'm actually paying for those skate decks?! We'll have to see what United Healthcare says. 

A kid needs choices, right?! He was very thirsty!! 

Signs made by the remaining members of the Fantastic Five. 

A visit from Ty, resulted in a playdate that E got to watch. He was good though, it was too much for him and he said "I need a break".  

Recovery round 2. Pins out!! Yay. 

Happy to be home and in my bed. Total bed hog!!

We thought that would be the end of it but he got a small infection on his incisions and had to head back to the DR for some meds. And that means we have to go back to square one and keep it all dry, sorry kid summer isn't back just yet.

1 comment:

Monique said...

Poor guy!! It looks like he got lots and lots of love though. I love all the pictures!